Wednesday 5 September 2012

1.Schultag

We have a tradition in Germany that I have not seen practiced in any other country and it is called the "Schultüte". It is basically a cone-shaped bag that every first grader gets on his or her first day at school. Usually it is filled with sweets and school supplies.

Since Erlend started his Germany course today, my sister Chrissi and me made him his very own Schultüte. He loved it!
We would appreciate your prayers for him over the next months as he joined an advanced course. It will be a lot of hard work to catch up on all the grammar which was already taught in the basic course (for which Erlend is too advanced and which would only start again in January). Since studying grammar is to Erlend what going to the dentist is to most people, you can see why he needs all the prayer he can get.

 Proud Erlend in front of our landlord's very cool garage door

What was in the Schultüte

5 comments:

  1. This was AWESOME! I sooooooo wanted to do this for Emma on her first day because you had talked about it so much, but I felt silly since I am not German and I would have just felt like a wanna-be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, so cool, Sarah, you just should have done it since you have a VERY strong connection to Germany (Emma even has a half German cousin!) and that is good enough for me :) and the way you love meat, you have to be German deep down anyways, so there, all the excuses you need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! And since you are saying all that, I just have to say (and I know it annoys the heck out of you when Americans say this...hehe...) that I am half German since my paternal relatives came over to the US from Germany a billion years ago!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - love it! Erlend has the brain to do it - we'll pray that his motivation will be strong!

    ReplyDelete